Your lesson, should you chose to accept it, is to create relevant, body-centered, and inclusive lessons that give students opportunities to feel optimistic for the future.
The Special Agent assigned to help you with this task is Lewis Maday-Travis, a middle school science teacher currently taking time off to write curriculum and provide professional training around inclusive classrooms, from Seattle, Washington.
Links mentioned in the episode (chronological):
- More "Ambitious Science Teaching" information and Lewis' lessons
- The photo of the dalmatian (from blog post "Think like an expert: teaching kids to see the big picture, Part 1")
- Brave Conversation Skills Handout (from blog post "Holding brave conversations, in and outside the classroom")
- Note to educators: hope required when growing roses in concrete by Jeffrey M. R. Duncan-Andrade
- "How one transgender teacher came out to his students" (KUOW article)
- Inclusive sex ed language checklist (originally AIDS Community Care Montreal & SextEd)